Go Back   SPLADDLE! > In the Gym! > Traditional Martial Arts!

Notices

Traditional Martial Arts! Whether you've done it in the past and want to reminisce or are currently training, this is the forum for you!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Stickgrappler
Soon-to-be-swordsman-in-training...

Rep Power: 2179 Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!
Default Shotokan - takedowns

posted some of lyoto's takedown gif's to my blog, and posted that link in some discussion about lyoto on the UG JKD forum.

i noted that one takedown looked like a silat takedown to me called kinjit/kengit. FlashGordon from there pointed out in some youtube clip that that takedown is in karate too. i made a gif from this youtube:

Flash notes:

1:06 Kinjit like take-down. Granted, it's obviously a demo but it's a take-down that Machida has pulled off in the UFC.

i made 2 gif's - one of which uploaded properly, the other is just a slowmo of this one less the psychedelic funky colors.

here's lyoto doing it -- there's 2 takedowns in this gif, the "kinjit/kengit" is the first one (my thanks to the unknown gif maker):

edit: my work browser sux... i cannot edit thread titles... should've just named this TMA takedowns or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...my site/blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... my old site

Last edited by Stickgrappler; 05-30-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Stickgrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
K-Dub-"T"
Can't Be Moved... Can't Be Touched.

Rep Power: 5 K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!K-Dub-"T" pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!

Yeap... that takedown is also in Shaolin Kung-Fu FYI, and I believe in Sheui jao (sp!)

K-Dub-"T" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Stickgrappler

Rep Power: 2179 Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!Stickgrappler pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!

shuai chiao or shuai jiao is how i see it usually spelled

come to think of it... forgot which is 'supinated' and which is 'pronated' (one means palm up and one means palm down), but in tai chi chuan/taijiquan - "diagonal flying" has the arm palm up and is essentially the same move... in kinjit, usually it's the elbow doing the pushing... in that karate gif and lyoto gif, it's palm down. minor technical difference but essentially it's the same throw across the board.

...my site/blog

... my old site
Old 08-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
e.kaye
Ridgeback

Rep Power: 2158 e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!

Shotokan actually contains numerous sweeps and throws. The problem is that no one teaches them. The kata contain numerous ju jitsu techniques. Every turn in a Shotokan kata is a disguised throw.
e.kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Designated Driver
RTFMist

Rep Power: 2286 Designated Driver is about as popular and well-known as jimmy23!

Interesting. Are those Shotokan throws/trips also part of other Karate styles like Kyokushin for example or is it native to Shotokan?
Designated Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
e.kaye
Ridgeback

Rep Power: 2158 e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!e.kaye should run for President!

I think that the sweeps are pretty common. Don't know about the rest.
e.kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Stickgrappler

e.kaye sighting!

seriously, thank you for the insight on the shotokan kata's!

...my site/blog

... my old site
Old 10-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
jrs4321
Ridgeback

Rep Power: 1619 jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!jrs4321 pwns all Spladdlers like a bunch of rented mules!

Many of the karate masters in Okinawa had also trained in Judo (and Kendo) when Japanese were in power
jrs4321 is offline   Reply With Quote